Home : Resources : Driving in Korea
Driving Training Test


USFK's online driver's training and test are mandatory. This change allows sponsors to assist authorized troops and families and set them up for success before they arrive. You may not go straight to the test and skip training.  You must take the training first before you will be allowed to take the test.  A passing score on the test is required to receive a POV license and/or a military/GOV license.

Training and testing for the USFK Driver's License (USFK 134EK) is conducted at the Joint Knowledge Online (JKO) website. The training and testing are open to all Service Members, DoD Civilians, and their respective dependents. Personnel with a CAC should log into JKO with their CAC and register for training. Personnel without a CAC must first create a JKO account using a user id and password and then take the training and the test. Do not take the training and test using your sponsor's CAC. To receive credit for the training and the test, you must log onto JKO with your own account credentials.

The training is a pre-requisite to the test and individuals may not take the test without first completing all the training modules.

Note: Test scores are good for 60 days. Licenses will not be issued to personnel that have taken the test more than 60 days prior to applying for a license.


Click here to go to Training Module USFK-US002 - USFK License Training Course


Click here to go to Testing Module USFK-002-B - USFK License Test

Driver Licensing Procedures


USFK Driver Licenses are issued at the service installations in Korea. Once you have completed the driver training and pass the test on JKO, go to your installation driver licensing facility and present your DoD identification card (CAC or dependent ID) and a valid driver's license.

Please allow 48 hours following your taking of the test to allow for system processing. The test facility personnel will look up your test score online to validate that you meet licensing requirements. Following test score verification, a USFK Driver's License (USFK 134EK) will be issued. Note: Procedures and service specific requirements may vary slightly. Check with your installation licensing office for specific details.

Driver Licensing Matrix

Requirements Valid U.S. License USFK 134EK Insurance Safety Inspection Registration License Plate Earbuds Allowed MSF Training PPE
Motorcycle Helmet, Gloves, Eye Protection, Protective Clothing
Motor Scooter (<125cc) ✅* Helmet, Gloves, Eye Protection, Protective Clothing
PTD PTD or POV Helmet
Bicycle Helmet
Play Vehicle Helmet



General Training, Testing and Licensing FAQs

My spouse (command sponsored) is from a foreign country. Is my spouse authorized a USFK 134EK Driver's License to be able to drive in Korea?

Yes, as long as their foreign driver's license is valid at the time of requesting for the USFK 134EK.


I'm an invited US Contractor. Am I authorized for a USFK 134EK Driver's License?

Yes, but for vehicle registration purposes only. Invited Contractors are required to maintain a valid and current International Driver's Permit or a Korean driver's license in order to conform to Korean law.


I wasn't able to take the course prior to transferring. How long can I legally drive in Korea?

USFK Regulation 190-1 allows you to drive the first 30 days after arrival on your state side driver's license. Beyond the first 30 days, you must have a valid International Driver's Permit, a Korean driver's license or a USFK Driver's License (USFK 134EK).


I plan on using a gas powered motor scooter under 125 CC's. Do I need a motorcycle endorsement and Motorcycle Safety Foundation course?

No, but you must have a valid USFK 134EK Driver's License to operate it, it must be registered and you must have insurance that is recognized in Korea. USFK does not require a motorcycle endorsement nor Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) training for motor scooters 125 CC's and below. However, your service component may require MSF training as part of their accident prevention program. Check with your driver license office or your installation safety office.


My home of record Driver's License is expired and I wasn't able to renew it prior to transferring. Can I still be issued a USFK 134EK Driver's License?

No, you must have a state-side driver's license that is valid when you are issued the USFK 134EK.


Military, DoD Civilian, Dependent License will expire prior to leaving Korea. Does that mean they will lose their driving privileges?

No, as long as your Driver's License was valid upon the date the USFK 134EK was issued, then the USFK 134EK Driver's License will remain valid in Korea for a five year prior from the date of issue.


If my U.S. Driver's License has already expired, but was valid at the time of the original issue of USFK 134EK, can I go to the Licensing Facility and get an updated license if they originally issues it for less than 5 years?

Yes, the USFK 134EK has always been valid for 5 years. Some licensing offices limited the duration of the license based on DEROS or state-side license expiration. This practice was incorrect and individuals affected by this practice may have a new license issued with an expiration date of 5 years following the original issue date.



Personal Transportation Devices


Personal transportation devices (PTDs) are defined as those vehicles designed to transport personnel but not registered as a motor vehicle, motorcycle or motor scooter that propels the device at a maximum speed of no more than 60 KPH on level ground. For a list of examples, click here for the glossary.

Traffic laws apply to persons operating or riding PTDs while on a public roadway, bicycle lane, bicycle path, or any right-of-way under Korean or USFK jurisdiction. Operators are required to comply with every rule and regulation on the road, understand the characteristics of the PTD correctly, and ride it cautiously to ensure it is a safe means of transport. Above all, operators should be prepared to deal with the risks posed by cars and pedestrians.



Do I need a license for any electronic or gas-powered Personal Transportation Device (PTD)?

Yes. The test can be taken on the same JKO site as the USFK 134EK Driver's License.


What age requires this license?

All Service Members, DoD Civilians, and/or their respective dependents age 16 and older are required to take the USFK Driver Licensing training, testing and must possess a valid USFK Driver's License to operate a PTD on installation or on host nation roadways.


Do I need a license for a skateboard, unicycle, hoverboard or other play vehicles?

No. These vehicles are considered play vehicles and are not allowed on USFK installation or host nation roadways; therefore, a license to operate these vehicles is not required.


Do I need a license to operate a bicycle in a bike lane or on the roadway?

You only need a USFK license if the bicycle is motorized. You do not need a license for non-motorized bicycles.


Can I wear earbuds or headphones while riding my PTD?

No. Wearing earbuds, headphones, earphones or other listening devices while operating a PTD is prohibited.


Is it legal to operate my PTD on public sidewalks?

No. This practice is not authorized under Korean law. Although you may not see this law actively enforced, in the event that you are injured, you injure a pedestrian or cause property damage, you may be found guilty under Korean law and/or held civilly and criminally responsible.


Is it mandated under Korean law that I get insurance if operating a PTD either on or off installation?

​No. Not at this time, but Korea is currently looking at revising laws as they pertain to PTDs and this could change in the future.


What will happen if I cause a major accident ($10,000 in damages or death) on or off installation with my PTD?

You may be held criminally and/or civilly liable under Korean law for the accident and reparation costs. 


USAA and AIG are the primary auto insurance providers in Korea. Will these insurance companies insure my PTD for on or off installation use?

Probably not. Since most U.S. states and nations have not fully addressed PTDs in their traffic supervision laws, most insurance companies still have not defined PTDs as motor vehicles and do not provide operator insurance coverage. Contact your insurance provider for more information.


Can I go off installation with my PTD?

Yes, as long as you have a PTD license and follow Korean law.


Can I get a license place for my PTD without insurance?

PTDs do not require a license plate or insurance at this time. PTDs must, however, be registered in DBIDS.





Any two or three wheel device having operative capability by human propulsion (pedals). When a bicycle is operated by a child under the age of 13, the bicycle is considered a play vehicle and may be operated on a sidewalk. Persons age 13 and older shall operate bicycles in bike lanes, on bicycle paths and on roadways when operating the bicycle on any USFK military installation. If a bicycle is motorized, it is considered a Personal Transportation Device.

Play vehicles.PLAY VEHICLE

Motorized or non-motorized unicycles/monocycles (Ryono, Airwheel or Mobbo), powered or motorized skateboards, hoverboards, and other powered or motorized devices not equipped with a hand-operated steering device. Other items include but are not limited to: motorized small scale vehicles designed to transport children, be operated by children or to be remotely controlled by another person; motorized and non-motorized roller blades, roller skates, shoes with retractable wheels; and children's bicycles, tricycles, and Big Wheels not intended for use on public roadways. Play vehicles may not exceed speeds of 20 KPH. Play vehicles are intended for use on sidewalks and are not authorized for use on any public roadways (or bike lanes) located on or off U.S. military installations.


A powered two or three wheeled vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider having an engine size greater than 125 cubic centimeters or equivalent size electric motor and that can exceed 60 kilometers per hour on level ground. A motorcycle is larger and heavier than a motor scooter and its engine lives in the frame. The driver’s feet sit on pegs on the outside of the motorcycle.


Private Motor Vehicles (POVs).PRIVATE MOTOR VEHICLE (POV)

A motor vehicle designed for highway use which is not owned, rented or leased by DoD or service components. This includes individually owned vehicles, corporate owned vehicles and commercial vehicles (e.g. cargo trucks, buses, taxis, etc.).




A powered two or three wheeled vehicle designed to transport personnel but not registered as a motor vehicle, motorcycle, or motor scooter that propels the device at a maximum speed of not more than 60 kilometers per hour on level ground.

These devices include: 
eScooter (known as Kickboards in Korea) - A powered device with two or three wheels, handlebars and a floorboard that can be stood upon while riding, which is solely powered by an electric motor, gas driven motor, and/or human power. 
Moped - A powered device with two or three wheels that has a small electric or gas driven motor having a seat or saddle and a top speed of 60 KPH (35 MPH) or less. Traditionally, a moped has pedals; however, many newer models no longer have pedals installed.

NOTE: Some vehicles sold as PTDs may exceed speeds of 60 KPH on level ground. These vehicles are considered motor scooters and must comply with all motor scooter training, licensing, registration, and operating requirements. Additionally, Personal Transportation Devices do not include a device that is designed for and intended to be used as a means of transportation for a person with a mobility impairment, or who uses the device for mobility enhancement.


A powered two or three wheeled vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider having an engine size less than or equal to 125 cubic centimeters or equivalent size electric motor and capable of exceeding speeds of 60 KPH or greater on level ground.