Welcome to the United States Forces Korea Command History Office page. Our mission is to provide historical information to and about the command and to ensure that the history of the command is not lost to posterity. Therefore we have both an educational mission and a preservation mission.
1. Establishes and carries out historical program objectives, priorities and policies in accordance with regulations and directives. Directs all theater historical activities with subordinate service components to insure complete historical coverage of US military operations and activities. Writes, coordinates, exercises and executes the joint historical annex to the OPLAN.
2. Produces historical products (information papers, point papers, briefings, studies, monographs, oral histories) as directed to provide historical perspective and research and reference support to assist CDR UNC/CFC/USFK and other commanders and staffs in operational planning, problem-solving, and decision-making.
3. Maintains working research holdings (UNC/CFC/USFK archive) adequate to preserve the commands’ institutional memory and to permit applying broad historical perspectives to issues affecting the commands. Establishes a collection plan and collects and organizes inputs for the UNC and ROK-US CFC Annual Historical Summaries and for USFK Command History. Coordinates, conducts, transcribes, publishes and preserves periodic and end-of-tour oral history interviews with the CDR UNC/CFC/USFK and with other key UNC/CFC/USFK commanders and staff principals as needed to complete the historical record.
4. Assists with the leader development and military history education programs as directed to include staff ride support, guest lectures, and a professional reading program.
5. Research, write, and publish the USFK Command Tenure Historical Review.
6. Coordinates joint historical research assistance and site analysis in support of efforts to locate, evaluate, and recover the remains of missing American service personnel that served or fought in the Korean Theater since 1945.