COL WILLIAM J. NORTON
Colonel William J. Norton is the Assistant Chief of Staff for Manpower and Personnel (J1), HQ United States Forces Korea, USAG-Yongsan, South Korea.
Colonel Norton, a native of Marietta, Georgia, was commissioned in the Air Force in 1993 after graduating from The Citadel, Charleston, South Carolina with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration. Colonel Norton was then granted an educational delay in order to attend the Michael J. Coles School of Business at Kennesaw State University in Marietta, Georgia. He graduated with a Masters of Business Administration in 1995 and entered active duty in May 1995. He has completed staff assignments as Deputy Chief of Staff, Headquarters Air Combat Command at Langley AFB, VA and in various positions on the Joint Staff culminating as the Deputy Chief, Personnel Readiness Division, Directorate of Manpower and Personnel, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
Colonel Norton is a graduated squadron commander and has deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
Prior to his current position, Colonel Norton was a student at Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama.
1993 Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, The Citadel, Charleston, South Carolina
1995 Masters of Business Administration, Michael J. Coles School of Business, Kennesaw State University, Atlanta GA
2000 Squadron Officers School, Resident Program, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
2007 Naval War College, Seminar Program, Monterey, California
2007 Masters of Business Administration, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey California
2013 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
1. June 1995 - Oct 1996, Chief, Customer Support, Bolling AFB, DC
2. October 1996 – July 1997, Chief, Customer Support, Pentagon MPF
3. July 1997 – February 1998, Chief, Relocations and Employment, Pentagon MPF
4. February 1998 – June 2000, Section Commander, 52d Component Repair Squadron,
Spangdahlem AB, Germany
5. June 2000 – June 2001, Commander, Military Personnel Flight, Keflavik NAS, Iceland
6. June 2001 – January 2003, Chief, Personnel to Director of Aerospace Operation, Langley AFB VA
7. January 2003 – January 2004, Executive Officer, Director of Staff, Langley AFB VA
8. January 2004 – May 2005, Deputy Director of Staff, Langley AFB VA
9. May 2005 – May 2007, Student, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey CA
10. May 2007 – June 2008, Commander, 60th Mission Support Squadron, Travis AFB CA
11. June 2008 – June 2009, Commander, 60th Force Support Squadron, Travis AFB CA
12. September 2009 - April 2010, Branch Chief, Joint Officer Management, Manpower and Personnel Directorate, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington DC
13. April 2010 – July 2011, Executive Officer, Manpower and Personnel Directorate, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington DC
14. August 2011 – July 2012, Deputy Chief, Personnel Readiness Division, Manpower and Personnel Directorate, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
15. July 2012 – June 2013 – Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, AL
16. June 2013 – Present - Assistant Chief of Staff, J1, HQ United States Forces Korea, U. S. Army Garrison – Yongsan, S. Korea
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant: May 1993
First Lieutenant: May 1996
Captain: May 1998
Major: June 2004
Lieutenant Colonel: June 2008
Colonel: Nov 2013
(Current as of Nov 2013)